A clean pool isn’t inviting mosquitoes. However if they’re not properly maintained, swimming pools can quickly become mosquito breeding sites, creating a nuisance for both yourself and your neighbors.
How To Keep Mosquitoes Away from Your Pool
Here are some tips on how to keep mosquitoes away:
- Run the filter on a regular basis. A timer can be used to allow the filter to operate for around 3-4 hours each day. They may need cleaning to avoid clogs.
- Don’t turn the filter off during winter or periods when the pool is not in use. By maintaining the pool during these periods it will take much less time, effort, and money to adjust the pool water correctly for the next use.
- When not in use, i.e. at night, place a cover over the swimming pool to prevent chemicals evaporating and bugs getting in. You can install an automatic cover on a timer. During rainy periods make sure that any water found ponding on the surface of the cover is removed.
- Regularly chlorinate your swimming pool and maintain disinfection levels. Chlorine alone will not kill mosquito larvae but will help in maintaining the pool’s health and, along with the other steps, hinder the growth of mosquito larvae.
- Use a skimmer to remove any surface debris. This tool will have the added benefit of improving your swimming experience, so you won’t have to avoid dead leaves or fallen branches.
- Implement a cleaning schedule. Either contract with a professional company, or store the brushes and equipment. The swimming pool should be cleaned regularly including vacuuming and scrubbing the walls. Backwashing should be undertaken at least weekly.
- Install mosquito traps. A mosquito trap can lure in a high volume of mosquitoes over large areas. Many don’t release harmful pesticides, like our MegaCatchTM XC Premier options.
Mosquito Traps and Chlorine Keep Your Pool Mosquito Free
The proper use of swimming pool grade chemicals and good management of the disinfection, filtration, and recirculation system will keep your swimming pool in a clean, safe, and healthy condition all season long.
While chlorine has long been the industry standard and most popular swimming pool disinfectant, consumer demand for alternatives has prompted the emergence of new technologies and the number of systems in use continues to grow.
Nature2 from Zodiac Pool Systems in Vista, California, dissolves traces of silver and copper into the water to disinfect it and prevent algae. The system, approved by the Environmental Protection Agency, allows pools to operate using just 0.5 parts per million of chlorine, compared with the recommended 1 to 4 ppm for conventional pools.
Enjoy Mosquito Free Summers With MegaCatchTM
MegaCatchTM is more than ready to help you implement mosquito repellent on a large scale. You can use one of our devices to keep mosquitoes at a safe distance from your pool area or yards.
To find out more about using equipment for pest control, please reach out to us today. Keep mosquitoes away from your pool with our expertise. MegaCatchTM knows how to handle standing water, and protect areas for leisure.